There are three ways to verify your identity with Westpac’s identity check:
1. Before you arrive in Australia
Visit one of the Westpac offshore offices or an approved certifier such as a foreign bank, an Australian consular officer or an Australian diplomatic officer. You can find a list of approved certifiers here.
Your certifier or offshore Westpac representative will need to see the following documents:
- your passport, birth certificate or national identity card*
- a document that displays your residential address, such as a drivers' license or utility bill
- the Certified Copy Certificate (PDF 525Kb). This Certificate must be completed in the presence of your certifier or Westpac representative
Once this is done you need to attach the certified copies of your documents to the original Certified Copy Certificate and send them to the branch you nominated when you completed your application to open your account in Australia.
For assistance with completing an identity check offshore, please contact us.
* Your national identity card, issued by a foreign government, the United Nations or an agency of the United Nations, must contain your photograph and signature.
2. Visit a Westpac branch when you arrive in Australia
To complete your identity check visit a Westpac branch once you arrive in Australia. If you visit a branch within six weeks you will need to bring the following to have your identity verified:
- your passport and Australian residential address
- a valid visa and confirmation of your arrival in Australia within the last six weeks.
Any longer than six weeks, and you'll need to provide at least two forms of identification such as a passport, driver's licence or birth certificate.
3. Get verified online and save time
If you open an account when you are already living in Australia you can save time by having your identity checked online. Simply have two of the following documents handy when you complete the application form:
- International or Australian Passport
- Australian Drivers Licence
- Medicare Card
If you don't complete the identity check
If the identity check isn't completed within 12 months (365 days) of your account application, the account will be closed. If you have deposited funds into your account you will need to complete an identity check before you can withdraw those funds from your closed account.